Summer Summit is a 6-day, 5-night residential program for high school students designed and run by the Student-Initiated Access Programs and Services (SIAPS) at UC San Diego. This program invites 10th-12th grade high school students from the San Diego area to stay in one of UCSD’s residential life halls. During the program, students reside in a suite with 6-8 other high school students and a Resource Advisor (a current UCSD student). Participants will have opportunities to:
- Experience residential life on a college campus;
- Build up their interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Gain information and resources about 4-year university admission;
- Be familiarized with on-campus resources such as community centers, transition programs, research opportunities, etc.
- Engage in skill building activities for leadership, personal growth, and academic success.
- Develop and strengthen their critical thinking skills.
We provide all meals, housing, and activities at no cost to the student.
Who is it for?
Due to our limited capacity, we are only able to accept applications from students who meet this criteria:
- Be a 10th-12th grade high school student (As of Fall 2016) of San Diego County AND
- All students must meet (1) of the following criteria:
- Be a 1st-Generation College Student: Parent/guardian(s) did not graduate from a four-year college or university within the United States; OR
- Reside in a Low-Income Household: Families must meet income eligibility criteria as defined by Federal guidelines. Annual income must fall below 185% of the federal poverty level. Please click here to view the Federal poverty guidelines. All applicants must submit a copy of their parents’ or guardians’ 2014 Income Tax Return (Form 1040). Student must be listed as a dependent on the Form 1040 that is submitted to us. If they do not have a 2014 Income Tax Return available, please submit letter explaining their financial situation, regardless of household income level.
We will be providing special consideration to students who attend partner-site schools of SPACES. The following are the partner-site schools: Castle Park High School, Crawford High School, King-Chavez High School, Lincoln High School, Morse High School, and Sweetwater High School.
APPLY TO PARTICIPATE in the 2016 SUMMER SUMMIT PROGRAM!
- Complete the online application by 11:59pm on Sunday, May 22nd
- Submit a copy of your parents’ or guardians’ complete 2015 Income Tax Return (Form 1040). You must be listed as a dependent on the Form 1040 that is submitted to us. If you do not have a 2015 Income Tax Return available, please submit letter explaining your financial situation, regardless of household income level. Please submit this document by 11:59pm on Sunday May 22nd through one of the following methods:
- Scan and email your document to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax your document to 858-534-7204
All applicants will be notified by June 8th regarding the status of their application.